The Benefits of Being an Octopus by Ann Barden

In the book, The Benefits of Being an Octopus, by Ann Barden shows you what happens in the hectic life of a young teen named Zoey.  Zoey wishes she was an octopus to juggle some of her tasks like watching her many siblings after school and doing her homework in time for school the next day.  She eventually is forced by one of her teachers to join the debate club. Sadly Zoey does not have eight arms like an octopus she has two. Zoey does not want to join debate club because it will put more weight on her shoulders. Eventually Zoey gives in and joins, which changes Zoey in a good way. Until people start thinking badly about Zoey.  Can Zoey find her voice even if means she risking something she loves dearly?

The book, The Benefits of Being an Octopus, reminds me of the book, Out of my Mind, by Sharon Draper because they are both realistic fiction.  The book, Out of my Mind, is about a girl around Zoey’s age that has cerebral palsy and has many struggles. In Out of My Mind, Melody also has a problem where she can’t speak just like how Zoey has a problem with speaking up about things. Read, The Benefits of Being an Octopus, by Ann Barden to find out what happens to Zoey after joining debate club. You can also read Out of my Mind to find out all the struggles of Melody.